One of my ideas for my budding YouTube broadcasting empire is a news show. I’ve finally crystallized this idea with topics and a format, and I might shoot my first show as early as tomorrow. But, one that’s hindering me here is a name for this news show. I know I could just put up a video of me talking, but since I want to build a brand and develop some real content and programming here, I do think a name and something reminiscent of structure is good. I think a video of me talking is going to make it look like I am a political vlogger, which is not what I am and not what I want to be.
Topics and Format
So, my idea for the news show is to utilize my previous experience in international extemporaneous speaking and provide analysis of current events while answering questions that could come up in actual coming rounds during speech and debate tournaments. I will pull my questions from Extemp Central, which does a good job of regularly posting relevant questions on a weekly basis. In each episode, I will answer one question to the best of my ability, doing research and practicing what I’m going to say before I shoot the video. It’s newsy without becoming ‘entertainment’, it’s something I can do by myself, and it’s something that I think can be of value beyond the speech community. Below are some of the most recent questions that I want to tackle:
- Is Benghazi the next Watergate?*
- Will the U.S. launch a manned mission to Mars by 2030?
- Will Mark Sanford’s victory assist the Democrats in enhancing their appeal to female voters in 2014?
- Can Jeb Bush escape his brother’s shadow and win the presidency in 2016?
- How should the Department of Defense handle new allegations of sexual assault in the military?
- Will the U.S. Senate approve the UN arms trade treaty?
- In regards to the Middle East peace process, can China succeed where the United States has failed?
- What steps does Pope Francis need to take to enhance Catholicism’s reputation in Europe?
- Is natural gas the global energy source of the future?
- What can the international community do to encourage more corporate responsibility in areas of the developing world?
*Definitely tackling this one for my first episode, even though it probably is the most controversial of the selected topics.
What About “All is On with Allison?”
This name, which is the name of the blog if you haven’t noticed, was what my fiancee suggested I name the news show. Although it’s good, and the name was originally for a political radio show, I really don’t think it’s a good fit. I don’t like that it positions me as the star as the show, which is not what I want because I do want to have the flexibility to expand it to include a panel of experts in the future to discuss these issues. I also don’t think “all is on” fits either. I don’t think all is on, at least with this show.
Actually, after all this. I think I just thought of a great name for my news show: “Fresh Interpretations.” That’s what I hope to provide with these videos, and I believe that I am doing something that at least the mainstream media isn’t doing. With some of the proposed topics, I don’t think the main news sources are asking those questions and providing that specific insight. It also reflects on what I do best: offering a new perspective and doing something better than the rest.
Okay, so after all that, I might not have needed any of your help at all. I just needed to listen to the first few bars of Scott Joplin’s “Maple Leaf Rag” and I just came up with it all on my own. Who knew jazz was so inspiration and so good at getting the juice flowing?